You have a right to complain if you aren’t happy with the care you’re receiving at home.

What can I complain about?

It’s vital that you’re comfortable with the care you receive and confident that it’s right for you. You should feel safe and the care should meet your needs. However, unfortunately you may come across issues such as:

  • Carers arrive late for visits and leave early
  • Medicines aren’t administered correctly
  • Carers leave your house untidy after visits
  • You receive a poor quality of personal care, such as being dressed incorrectly

How do I make a complaint about a homecare provider?

Step one

If you’re unhappy with your care, first try to resolve it by having an informal conversation with the council or, if you’re self-funding, the care agency providing your care.

Tips for your complaint

  • Be specific about what happened and when – including dates and times or staff names, where possible.
  • Keep copies of any letters or emails you send or receive.
  • Note down when you have had phone calls and meetings about the complaint with the council or homecare provider. Write down who you spoke to and what they said.
  • Be clear about what you want to be done or what you expect to change as a result of raising the matter.

Step two

If that doesn’t work, ask for a copy of the council or agency’s complaints procedure, which they are required to have, and make a formal complaint.

Step three

If you’re not happy with the outcome of the complaints procedure, ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to investigate further.

If you’re paying for your own care, ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman about its independent complaints review service.

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

Get more information about the ombudsman

Find out more

Step four

You can also inform the Care Quality Commission, which regulates social care services in England. While they can’t help you directly, they may decide to investigate the care provider or enforce changes as a result.

Where can I get support to make the complaint?

Your local council is required to provide an independent advocacy service to assist you to make a complaint.

You can also contact your local Age UK or Age UK Advice who will be able to provide information and advice on your complaint.

What should I do if I’ve been mistreated?

If you experience any kind of mistreatment by someone who is caring for you, contact your local council. They have a duty to follow up concerns.

You can call the Action on Elder Abuse confidential helpline to discuss the situation.